Wednesday, August 28, 2019

The mind is very powerful...


... it can make something as little as creating a 3 minute speech a very difficult task. In my case, it created lots of anxiety because it gets me completely out of my comfort zone. 

As far as I can remember, the thought of getting myself out there frightens me. For the longest time, I convinced myself that I would never be able to get over the fear of public speaking, I didn’t believe in myself, I was very tough with myself if I made a mistake, I was unkind to myself.

For the past 2 weeks, all those self defeating thoughts came right back, and all because of a very simple task. I’ve felt as if I was getting ready for a school presentation, back to those days where I felt really uncomfortable with myself. This got me thinking "why after all the work I’ve put into improving myself, this little thing gets me right back to square one?” 

My mind started going in circles until all of a sudden I remembered that even though I put myself down most of the time, there were also times where I was able to get over this fear. Once in middle school and once in highschool. I convinced myself that I could do it and I did it. I spoke in front of all my classmates and I felt confident.

So, why do I keep telling myself that I can’t do things? well because it is very comfortable and it doesn't require any energy whatsoever. It is very easy to stay within the comfort zone.

That been said, I've finally made the commitment that I am going to face my fears straight on and no matter the outcome, I'm not gonna put myself down if I make a mistake. In fact, I welcome all the mistakes I will make from now on. All of those have made me the person that I am today. I also told myself “enough is enough, just do it."

How does this relate to a social theme? well, we all have our own demons, we all make such a big deal out of very simple things. It all depends on how we use our minds. We can either make it work for us or against us. Is all about perspective

I would like to end this speech with a quote from one of my favorite movies, back to the future, where Marty McFly tells his father back in 1955 “George, there's nothing to be scared of, all it takes is a little self confidence. You know, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything” So, remember that every time you face your fears.

No comments: